If you have found yourself in an uncomfortable or even serious financial situation due to your gambling and you are ready to seek help, there are some things you can do to get assistance and get your finances under control. First, you have to admit that your gambling has caused a problem and make sure you are treating that problem. If you don’t, all the financial help in the world won’t be enough. You will simply slip back into your old habits.
If you have started getting help for your gambling problem, you probably need to get help from a financial counselor as well. You should make sure that you choose a financial counselor that is accredited in your state since state laws vary. Once you have chosen a financial counselor, they will be able to help you with many areas including those below.
- Budgeting: You will learn how to create and stick to monthly budget.
- Identify and implement options that meet debt problems.
- Creditor negotiations: Financial counselors often can get your creditors to work out an arrangement that you are able to pay back rather than constantly ignoring it.
- Manage the paying back of debtors through special programs where you pay the counselor and the counselor pays the debtor.
- Explaining and helping with bankruptcy, if necessary. This is usually the last option a counselor will turn to, but it may be inevitable in some cases.
These are just a few of the many different ways that a financial counselor will help you get your finances back on track and keep them on track. If you are sinking in debt due to gambling, you need to first make sure you are getting counseling for your gambling addiction and then get help with your financial problems. You can’t simply fix your finances and not your gambling problem or you will quickly find that you have more financial problems and your creditors won’t be willing to work with you a second time.